Sunday, February 15, 2015

Oscar time on TCM

It is the 31 days of Oscar on TCM which is always my favorite month(ish) on TCM.  I think they also do a good job of showing the big Oscar movies (your Citizen Kanes, your Bridges of the River Kwai) and the smaller lesser known Oscar movies (like The More the Merrier).  And almost every year I get to see little gems that I wouldn't really see otherwise (like one year when I got to watch Bullit and The French Connection back-to-back, which were shown in like that because both movies shared the same stunt driver).  So far this year, my favorite discovered movie is The Yearling.  Which I, surprisingly, have never seen (given that it stars Gregory Peck and Jane Wyman).  I really enjoyed it (which my mother recommended that I watch).  The cinematography was top notch and there was some wonderfully composed shots. And of course Gregory Peck was so good as was Jane Wyman.  And I cried of course, but not really at the parts about the deer, more due to scenes between Jody and Ory (Jane Wyman).  I highly recommend it!

No comments: